Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Democracy 2.0- More flawed than I thought, but what about alternative voting?

In an election year there seems to be two ways to waste your vote, voting for and less popular candidate in the pre-election and voting in a non-swing state in the general election.

It seems the only way your vote truly has any weight is when you are voting in a swing state, where the outcome is not predictable. You really do have a fifty-fifty chance of your nominee winning and not being overruled by the dominant republican or democratic voting of that state's history.

Prediction of 2016 swing states compared to swing states in 2012.


Earlier today I had asked a friend who he was pulling for in the elections. He said most of the candidates were pretty extreme and there was really no one moderate enough to match his views, but he is pulling for Sanders. He is originally from Washington and I asked him if he was registered to vote and he said yes he is registered in Utah.

After first I was a little puzzled by this, because I thought you had to register in the state you were a resident of, but it seems college students get the option and even kind of an advantage. But there goes his vote in the republic partied state of Utah when Washington has a of being a bit of a swing state historically but has voted democratic the last seven years.

Then I thought if college students can pick where to register to vote, I wonder if other people get the option too? And if that was the case, why don't we all vote in swing states to make our vote matter ? Unless you obviously are already voting republican or democratic and your states tends to do so. Obviously, it isn't that easy to just jump from state to state with registration, there is some effort, but it is a possibility.

So I'll stick to registering to vote in Nevada, where I am from, but I thought as least your vote counts in the primaries. Well that is actually not as straight forward as I thought and more flawed then I thought too. there is actually more to that than I thought too and that doesn't guarantee your vote will count either depending on the state and how they regulate the delegates to vote in the National convention.


There is actually more to that than I thought too  with caucuses promoting more discussion and providing a more educated vote but limiting the number of people who vote do too have to be present at a certain time. And there three types of primaries, but at least those are all-day, but there is no discussion and you better cross your fingers your state isn't a closed primary and your an independent voter. But your vote still isn't guaranteed to count  thanks to state laws and how they regulate its delegates to vote in the National convention, which is where the really voting happens. 

Then to the general election, where hopefully your are as lucky as me and get to vote in a swing state, where your vote actually has some weight to it. 


I get it now, why people don't vote, because in some cases or rather the majority of cases your vote doesn't count if you aren't with the majority. I get it now why people are as engaged and this attitude of "I don't care" has been trickled down through the generations. I get why I, like most of my generation, I was so confused when we were taught democracy is so great, but really it depends. And the reason our people sought so hard for the right to vote was because that was also your power of freedom of speech right?  But now only the majority is being heard in numerous states and candidates only focus on the minority of states to getting them swinging their way. 

Then I started to wonder if the electoral college is so bad and so few voices are heard, somebody for sure has had to have thought about a different way of doing things. 


 
I kind of like this one anyways, because the smaller parties vote can still be worth value, but it isn't lost and you still get a choice even if your first one is vetoed. Which I also think will hold bigger parties, and even all parties, more accountable in what they say and what they do. 

By the way, there is is cool website, www.270towin.com, where you can find each states voting history and can even make you own prediction on how states will vote in the interactive map. Maybe even share it on social media to get a conversation going who you think will win and why? Does that match who you want to win?  

No comments:

Post a Comment