Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Learning 2.0

Trying to think of a different way of learning is actually abstract for me, because the system of how we are trained to learn is all I have ever known. I have never questioned it or even questioned there was a different way of learning. I have always just accepted it for what it was. 

Now I am not a student who follows the philosophy the "C's get degrees" and have always resented the idea of doing the bare minimum in school just to get by. 

Maybe part of the problem is how we have evolved in the way we learn. The video helps illustrate that evolution. 


In the beginning of the video states "Education has never changed its definition" and at the end says "It just changed the way of teaching and learning," but is that the problem.

This is just a speculation but I feel as though memory was more valued in the beginning of education. This leads me to reflect on Postman's argues in his book "Amusing Ourselves to Death : A public discourse in the age of show business." Could we replace the words "show business" with "education" and see the argument that the only way we can teach is if is entertaining? Would it be valid with the argument of the evolution of technology of a projector, to power points, a smart board, ebooks, etc?  Is the value of memory only valued long enough to get through the standardized testing and move on? Almost could be paralleled to the Postman's chapter of  "Now.... This." where our culture only values on the completion of the system and the speed thereof and not the process. 

I have always thought the way of thinking to do the bare minimum was just wasting your  own time, and that if we have do it anyways than you might as well get the most out of it. But I am an optimist and like this perspective on life, but I think it defaults me to omitting that a negative perspective might have a valid point. Like the fact that those students probably felt exactly as I had described them about the school system, that it is wasting their time.  

This video animates along with Sir Ken Robinson talk and it helped put my optimistic default in perspective. 


But I am still left to wonder how do we change the system? 


No comments:

Post a Comment